VIP Delegation Programmer - Defence
- Closing date: 30-Jun-2019
- Full Time
- Job function:
- Contract type:
- Contact Name: HR Team
- Location: London, UK
- Company name: Clarion Events Ltd
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.clarionevents.com
We are looking to recruit a temporary programming team who will be responsible for producing time-efficient visit programmes for some of the most senior visitors attending one of the world’s largest defence and security exhibitions - DSEI 2019 - which takes place in London’s Docklands from 10th to 13th September 2019. Event or customer service experience will be a distinct advantage, alongside knowledge of the international Defence and Security sector. The role is a customer facing role, and successful candidates will be required to persuade VIPs to take in as many meetings as possible, have an excellent telephone manner, the ability to problem solve and go the extra mile to assist and engage with exhibitors and VIPs. The contract will run from the 20th May 2019 to 13th September 2019. The ability to speak a foreign language, especially Arabic, Japanese, German, French, or Italian will be a distinct advantage as some of the programmers will be liaising with defence companies exhibiting within international pavilions.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone looking to establish themselves within the event/exhibition industry, or network with the entire international Defence and security Sector. Some candidates in similar roles within the DSEI organising team have gone on to take up full-time positions either within Clarion’s Defence and Security portfolio of events, elsewhere within the Company, or with a defence industry supplier.
The 3.5-month temporary appointment is to support the DSEI VIP Team with the production of VIP visit programmes for the most senior military and government visitors attending the 2019 Defence & Security Exhibition International (DSEI – www.dsei.co.uk) and acting as onsite point of contact during their attendance at the exhibition. The successful candidate will be an integral part of the VIP organising team, working in the Clarion offices in London from 20th May until 13th September 2019, including onsite at DSEI from 8th to 13th September inclusive.
There is an opportunity for a number of successful candidates contracts to be extended into December of 2019 to assist on a number of international events run by the Clarion Defence and Security portfolio, BIDEC in Bahrain and the inaugural edition of DSEI Japan.
The role requires a very well organised, methodical and enthusiastic individual with a genuine can-do attitude with the desire and ability to engage confidently at all levels, both face-to-face and over the phone. They will have excellent communication skills and be commercially astute, self-sufficient, self-motivated and a team player. Impeccable standards, attention to detail and strong support staff ethic are essential. Customer service and sales experience, especially in the event/exhibition and/or defence industry would also be a distinct advantage – a skill called upon when dealing with private office staff and their VIP principals to mediate and ‘sell’ an exhibiting company’s request to meet with them.
- Co-ordinating VIP Delegation programmes for DSEI 2019
- Liaising with DSEI exhibitor clients, outer offices of UK and Overseas VIP Delegations, and the defence staff in London Embassies/High Commissions to produce time-efficient visit programmes, matching the products and services offered by exhibitors with the capabilities that our most senior VIP visitors are interested in
- Acting as the main point of contact for DSEI exhibitor clients regarding online VIP Delegation visit requests; handling all VIP Delegation visit request enquiries.
- Assisting with the production of visit programmes for HMG’s Official Overseas Delegations as directed by the UK Department for International Defence, Defence & Security Organisation (DIT DSO)
- Ensuring that all visitor programmes and correspondence are completed to a professional standard and in a timely manner
- Co-ordinating any operational requirements for Military and Government VIP Delegations
- Developing and maintaining excellent relationships with MODs, Embassy/High Commission
defence staff, exhibitors, sponsors, international promoters, partners and the rest of the show
- Working onsite (ExCeL, London) during the build-up and open period of the Exhibition as required (08th Sep 2019 – 13th Sep 2019)
- Acting as host/escort officer at the exhibition, escorting the most senior visitors attending DSEI
- Communicating regularly with exhibitors onsite during the exhibition period to keep them abreast of any changes to VIP programmes and helping them to engage with VIPs who may have chosen to walk the floor freely at their own behest
- Representing Clarion Events in a professional manner at all times.
Knowledge, Skills & Behaviours:
- Attention to detail
- Great phone etiquette
- Engaging personality
- Well presented
- People oriented
- Excellent written and oral communicator
- The ability to work both independently and as a team player
- To work calmly under pressure
- A tenacious ‘can do’ approach to work
- Good listener; customer-driven responsiveness
- Ability to handle and counter objections
- Resilience and persistence
- Ability to communicate with people at all levels
- Strong negotiation skills
- Previous knowledge of military protocol would preferable.
- Ability to speak a foreign language, ideally German, Italian, French, Turkish, Spanish, Dutch, Arabic, Japanese.
- Positive attitude
- Recent knowledge of the Defence sector, international MODs (especially Japan, USA, France, Italy, and Germany) and their organisational structures will also be a distinct advantage.