GMA Events & Commercial Director
- Closing date: 24-Feb-2022
- Full Time
- Job function:
- Event Management
- Senior Management
- Contract type:
- Contact Name: Gloria Lau
- Location: Milton Keynes
- Company name: Grounds Management Association
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://www.thegma.org.uk/
The Grounds Management Association (GMA) is the leading not-for-profit membership organisation that delivers best practice through its education, information, networks and support. The GMA is a voice for grounds staff and volunteers across elite and grassroots sports, provides leading networks for suppliers in groundscare, and leads on programme delivery with partners. It helps professional and volunteer groundspeople succeed in what they do and benchmarks safety and quality with its Grounds Management Framework.
Through the GMA’s relationships with the National Governing Bodies of sport and Sport England, our ambition is that more people enter the grounds industry so that more people can play sport on good quality, grass playing surfaces.
With the success of its leading events and services, and continued digital expansion, the GMA is experiencing a period of expansion to its team.
The Events and Commercial team is responsible for the Grounds Management Association’s direction, management, and delivery of the GMA’s annual trade event, SALTEX, and other relevant industry events which focus on the management and maintenance of the UK’s outdoor leisure spaces. Events attendees would range from personnel working in sports grounds, educational facilities and grounds to park & leisure amenity officers, landscapers, greenkeepers, foresters, estate managers.
GMA SALTEX is a national exhibition, now in its 76th year, and is proud that any surplus created by the running of the exhibition is reinvested back into the varied work we do to support the sports turf industry
Held at the National Exhibition Centre (NEC) Birmingham annually in November, GMA SALTEX offers the opportunity to view latest trends and innovations, connect with colleagues, and learn from top industry professionals through its educational seminars.
You will lead on strategic direction, as well as the development and sustainment of commercial opportunities, and activities. This role also provides the opportunity to widen the GMA’s commercial portfolio and grow its influence. It would suit an individual with broad-ranging events and ideally membership experience, or someone with knowledge of the turf care sector and an appetite to establish and grow commercial relationships.
Our strategy is led by our members with the aim to support, upskill, and inform the sector. Our ambition is that everyone working or volunteering in grounds management is a GMA member, and businesses in the sector continue to value our partnerships.
We help to understand industry challenges through research and help identify solutions, provide turf care consultancy, and inspire people to invest and reinvest in grounds management by helping everyone understand its wider contribution to sport and society.
Either based at our Milton Keynes office or remotely, you will be responsible for driving forward the GMA’s strategy. You will lead on the development and delivery of our events, forge and build relationships with our commercial partners and maximise income potential that drives forward the awareness and strategic ambitions of the GMA ensuring our offerings and influence in the industry and beyond stay up to date and relevant.
We are seeking an experienced and commercially-minded professional to lead our commercial and events team, who:
- Be a self-starter and help nurture our small, but effective commercial and events team
- Take SALTEX to new levels benefitting the exhibitors and visitors alike
- Help promote and establish the GMA as the go-to organisation respected by stakeholders and suppliers in the sector
- Take a strategic approach and hands-on responsibility in developing the GMA’s strategic activities
- Establish long-standing relationships with suppliers and influencers, engaging with external sales and communications to help deliver relevant opportunities, products, and services
What we’re looking for:
- Can provide a demonstrable track record in all aspects of the Exhibition and Event Industry: sales; marketing; operations; and event development and growth
- Has experience of developing and growing the commercial portfolio of organisations, ideally including at least one in a membership environment
- Is entrepreneurial, a self-starter, energetic, a strategic thinker but with hands on skills and leadership qualities and experience
- Hands-on experience planning and delivering global, national, and regional events, with an understanding of how to grow market share
- Knowledge of membership organisations and the grounds management industry and the structures of sport would be considered an advantage
For further details including details of the application process please refer to the application pack by following this link: Latest jobs | Grounds Management Association (thegma.org.uk)
Competitive salary circa £55K, car allowance, bonus, pension, employee assistance programme, 25 days annual leave.
Application deadline: 24 February 2022 by 5:00 pm