Principal Software Engineer
- Closing date: 30-Nov-2019
- Full Time
- Job function:
- Contract type:
- Contact Name: Sandra Geluykens
- Location: Richmond, Surrey
- Company name: Reed Exhibitions Ltd
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.reedexpo.co.uk
Job Title: Principal Software Engineer
Reports to: Technical Excellence Engineering Manager
Based at: Richmond, UK, Surrey
Reed Exhibitions is the world’s leading events business, enhancing the power of face-to-face through data and digital tools. Every year we run over 500 events in more than 30 countries, bringing together over 7 million active event participants worldwide. With 4000 employees, we serve 43 industries in 38 offices around the globe.
Reed Exhibitions is part of RELX Group. RELX Group is a global provider of information and analytics for professional and business customers across industries. The Group serves customers in more than 180 countries and has offices in about 40 countries. It employs approximately 30,000 people of whom almost half are in North America.
We’re building our next generation global events platform and services to enable our event teams to be able market and showcase our world-class exhibitions. Not only is the platform we are building is new but the team we’re bring together is too. We’re seeking the best people to join our team who are customer focused, want to be part of a high performance agile organisation, with the culture to match.
If you like taking action and feeling responsible for delivering results, there's a good chance you'll enjoy working with us. Joining our team is an opportunity to apply your expertise to accelerate our growth in this space. Your people and technical skills will be tested every single day.
As a Principal Software Engineer
• You will analyse, design, build, test, deliver and support great services for our customers.
• You will validate and ensure delivery teams create a services ecosystem that is consistent, highly usable, reliable and performance.
• You will provide technical leadership, producing technical solutions, guidelines and documentation in-line with industry best practices, interfacing with other teams with the business to ensure the timely delivery of high-quality products.
• You will work collaboratively with Product Owners, Tech Leads, Software Engineers and be an active contributor to continuous improvement within the Technical Excellence team, providing honest and open feedback based on your experience.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
To be successful, you should have:
• Demonstrable experience of new technologies and know when it’s appropriate to use them.
• Advanced understanding and experience of framework agnostic engineering, knowing when to use frameworks and when not to.
• Advanced understanding and experience of Service-oriented architecture and the benefits of taking a micro-services approach to engineering.
• Advanced understanding and experience in software development, application and infrastructure architecture for enterprise web applications.
• Advanced understanding and experience of all types of testing such as unit (including mocking and behavioural testing), performance, security and other functional requirements testing.
• Advanced understanding and experience of relational and non-relational databases and when to use them.
• Advanced understanding and experience of version control systems, Continuous Integration & Delivery/Deployment Pipelines and why we use them.
• Hands on experience with Cloud infrastructure and services, preferably with a good understanding of Amazon Web Services, immutable infrastructure, blue/green deployments, mutli-regions and disaster recovery.
• Experience in leading Technical Teams.
• Able to work in a fast-paced, agile environment.
• Able to support the teams by removing impediments.
• A skilled negotiator obtaining agreement from and resolving conflict with various partners.
What you will need to show
• Deep knowledge and understanding of Software Development Philosophies, Methodologies and Processes.
• Deep knowledge and appreciation of the Software Engineering Code of Ethics, Software Engineering, Architecture Principles, Policies, Standards, Guidelines, Best Practices and Design Patterns.
• Expertise in Behaviour-Driven Development (BDD) and Test-Driven Development (TDD).
• Expertise in Infrastructure (IaC) and Pipeline (PaC) Configuration/Management Automation.
• Experience in leading Technical Teams and able to support teams by removing impediments.
• A level of Technical Leadership experience that can steer the culture of software engineers and drive the same passion for change.
• Able to work in a fast-paced, agile environment with solid understanding of the practical application of agile development methods and working alongside with the software development teams in an Agile/Lean/Continuous Delivery environment.
• Good Documentation writing skills and ability to convey and explain complex technical information to non-technical staff.
● Exposure to onsite-offshore delivery models
● Active participation in the wider Software Engineering community