Managing Director (Defence)
- Closing date: 31-Mar-2019
- Full Time
- Job function:
- Event Management
- Contract type:
- Contact Name: HR Team
- Location: London, UK
- Company name: Clarion Events Ltd
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0207 384 7764
- Website: http://www.clarionevents.com
The Defence portfolio is one of Clarion’s largest and most international business units, with over 100 staff operating from 4 offices across the world delivering some of Clarions flagship brands.
All of the events in the portfolio present unique challenges in delivery from sales, marketing and operational perspectives, complexities which are amplified by the global nature of the defence sector itself and the international scope of the portfolio and the teams which deliver its events.
The portfolio is also undergoing a period of substantial and game-changing growth, with a significant number of new launches and acquisitions either already underway or planned, all of which are taking place in parallel with a portfolio-wide program of strategic business process change aimed at further enhancing Clarion Defence & Security’s status as the world’s leading, and most innovative operator in this sector.
The newly created role of Managing Director (Defence) will be working with the current MD of Clarion Defence & Security, responsible for managing and directing all aspects of the delivery and execution of the existing portfolio, controlling and forecasting P&L as well as driving and delivering key components of the strategic change program to ensure that Clarion continues to strengthen and develop its position as the leading event operator in the global Defence & Security exhibition market
The successful candidate will be an established director of a large-scale international portfolio or business looking for their next challenge, and will be eager to take on responsibility for an existing portfolio which is already bigger and more complex than many UK-based exhibition organizers entire businesses.
- Plan and implement the commercial strategy for the Defence portfolio
- Responsible for creating a cultural environment that actively enables and motivates individuals to execute the business plan
- Manages effectively through delegation, empowerment and accountability of management team members
- Coaches and develops management team members and supports a culture of career development, succession planning and upward mobility
- Develops and rewards individual team members in ways that deliver improved motivation and performance by staff
- Drives the business to exceed company benchmarks in profitability and growth
- Sets example of desired standards in communications and actions
- Creates positive morale throughout the business
- Demonstrates clear and effective communication of ideas, processes and goals
- Business Management
- Establishes and monitors budgets, financial plans and forecasts in line with company growth targets
- Plans organisational/resourcing structure and manages business unit and portfolio-level commercial and functional teams to deliver on commercial goals
- Responsible for effective control and reporting processes throughout the business unit
- Identifies and delivers upon revenue and profit opportunities outside the original plan
- Develops timely and effective supplemental action plans to manage performance throughout the year in response to market conditions
- Contributes to the development of the strategic plan for the sector
- Manages staff consistently and completes timely appraisals
- Develops relationships with key market players and stakeholders to ensure informed decision making for the business.
- Understands key market drivers and seeks to reflect them in direction and output of the business consistently
- Identifies and analyses market influences and assesses their impact on the business to build a competitive advantage.
- Demonstrates the ability to anticipate and respond effectively to the needs and priorities of the market to provide an enhanced event or product
- Brand Delivery & Product Development
- Actively seeks to identify and to develop the business unit’s products to enhance market relevance
- Supports event-level management teams in identifying correct positioning for products through use of the Clarion event planning and strategy process and tools
- Leads a culture of consistently excellent product delivery throughout the business
- Supports the development of appropriate competencies and skills within the management and event teams to match the requirements of the business
- Understands key market segments and drivers and seeks to reflect them in direction and output of the business
Knowledge, Skills & Behaviours:
- Proven experience in directing large-scale conferences/exhibitions
- Demonstrable leadership skills, with strong planning and execution experience
- Excellent people management and motivational skills
- Good financial controller
- Analytical mind and superior interpretational skills
- Excellent communicator at all levels; confident decision-maker
- Outstanding presentation and negotiation skills
- Demonstrable leadership skills, with strategy and planning experience
- Leading the team by example
- Tact and diplomacy
- Clarity of vision and purpose
- The ability to motivate, coach and influence staff to excel
At Clarion our people are at the absolute heart of what we do. We're proud that our core values of PASSION, CARE, IMAGINATION and TRUST define the way we carry out our work across all of our exhibitions and conferences. If you share our values and want to be a part of a successful, dynamic and creative global business then we want to hear from you. To apply, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and state the role that you are applying for in the subject line.