Events Technical Manager
- Closing date: 10-Jun-2022
- Full Time
- Job function:
- Contract type:
- Contact Name: Eve Page
- Company name: dmg events
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
An enthusiastic, detail-oriented, and self-motivated Events Technical Manager is sought for this exciting role. Working closely with the wider operations and event teams, you will be responsible for the organisation and management of multiple international conferences/ projects within the energy portfolio at dmg events, from conception through to completion. This role will be leading on best practice surrounding conference and speaker management, as well as registration and customer service strategy.
Working with internal and external stakeholders and suppliers to deliver operational excellence, on time and within budget and with a good ROI.
People Management: Development and management of direct line reports
- Manages direct line report; recruiting, selecting, training and ensuring personal development of direct line reports
- Agrees objectives and conducts annual appraisal of direct report(s)
- Actively supports junior members within the team through mentoring and sharing of knowledge
Conference/ Project Management: Manages the operational delivery of several events/projects from conception to completion
- Plan and execute successfully all operational and logistical elements for conferences and exhibitions in consultation with the Head of Operations, Event Director / Conference Producers and Sales team.
- Effectively work on the technical elements of the events, projects which may include catering, internet, signage, feature areas, conference etc.
- Conduct feasibility studies and draft budgets relating to the operational requirements for current events and new launches.
- Conduct site visits and ensure venues are fit for purpose.
- Creating and updating show floor plans and layout plans.
- Assist with the production of Exhibitor Manuals and Information sheets, to help clients to plan their participation at the event.
- Co-ordinating onsite freight, traffic and security requirements.
- Manage adhoc projects, e.g., Evening Functions - source venues, negotiate entertainment, AV & Lighting, F&B, etc.
- Agree any event sponsorship sales opportunities / obtain quotes, then implement any sponsor/exhibitor agreements and liaise directly with the client on fulfilment, providing great customer service care.
- Analyse event operations post shows and prepare and implement recommendations for improving operational efficiencies on future events.
Registration management: Leading on internal best practice and processes
- Leading on developing the internal registration strategy and procedures
- Working closely with the Customer Service Operations Executive, tech team, finance and delegate sales teams to ensure registration data accuracy
- Working with external registration company to deliver onsite registration
- Managing delegate communication strategy
- Oversight of client bookings and management of customer accounts
- Continual reviewal of the registration system, providing recommendations on improvements that can be made
Speaker Management: Managing speakers and ensuring best event content delivery
- Managing speakers, both pre-event and onsite for select events. Including creating and sharing speaker briefing notes, collating speaker bios/ photos/ presentations, and working with the content team to update conference programmes.
- Working with the content team and AV technicians closely onsite to deliver excellent event result
- Managing conference guide/App production, following our marketing quality standards
Technology/ System management: Utilising various technology platforms to project manage event registration and speaker management
- Proficient in managing and using various technology platforms - Salesforce, VISIT, Swapcard and Phases etc.
- Main point of contact with event registration platform
- Successfully work with and manage Operational processes for your designated events, including creating and keeping up to date with event operations timelines
Budget Management: Managing operational budgets
- Prepare, manage, and monitor operational event budgets, keeping costs firmly under control.
- Strong negotiating skills, helping achieve profit targets through cost savings.
Relationship Management: Managing good internal and external relationships accordingly
- Creates an immediate, positive and professional impression on colleagues and external suppliers which is vital for the development of the business
- Externally - Builds and maintains excellent working relationships with external providers including (but not exclusively) venues, all types of service suppliers and A/V providers
- Ensures that favourable rates and terms are negotiated - Obtaining quotes, conducting full tender processes, negotiating costs, creating Service Level Agreements, selecting and appointing the providers.
- Internally – Interacts effectively with fellow team members, other departments and relevant DMG global network to gain and effectively apply internal knowledge.
- Present to the wider team internally, and to venues and suppliers, the updates of the events throughout the event cycle.
- Ensure first class customer communications (delegate, sponsor, and exhibitor) at all times. Managing scheduled communication to go out at key stages of the event process regarding all logistical details.
Health and Safety
- Ensure Health & Safety best practices are followed and monitored throughout the planning cycle and onsite (e.g. g-Guide minimum standard).
- Complete Health & Safety documentation, putting together Health & Safety folders for all events, including; Risk Assessments, Fire Risk Assessments, Emergency Evacuation Plans, Major Incident Plans, etc.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills:
Key requirements for the role
- Experience (5 years minimum) in international B2B conferences and exhibitions. Experience of working in challenging global locations is advantageous.
- Previous experience with managing junior team members
- Additional Languages are advantageous, specifically Mandarin and Portuguese
- First Aid Knowledge / training is desirable.
- Detailed knowledge of small to large scale operations and Health & Safety best practice. Ideally with IOSH Certification.
- Strong negotiating and contract management skills.
- Project Management; ability to oversee/manage multiple products.
- Sound commercial awareness – management of budgets for events and keeping within the budget set.
- Ability to network and liaise with senior people/trade bodies, associations and diverse cultures.
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines.
- Knowledge and experience with AutoCAD is helpful.
- Open to international travel to countries in Asia, Africa, Europe, North America