Event Director - Retail
- Closing date: 30-Oct-2019
- Full Time
- Job function:
- Event Management
- Contract type:
- Contact Name: HR Team
- Location: London, UK
- Company name: Clarion Events Ltd
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.clarionevents.com
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a high-performing and talented Event Director to lead Home and Gift, a flagship event within the Clarion Retail Portfolio, as a maternity cover. Established for 60 years, Home and Gift is highly regarded as the industry’s favourite show for its inspirational edit of brands, unique setting and unrivalled buying experience.
As Event Director you will be responsible for developing and executing all key growth strategies, customer outcomes, tactics and action plans required to achieve the strategic and financial targets.
The successful candidate will have established leadership attributes; with a proven ability to foster collaborations across diverse group of stakeholders within Retail, whilst leading the event team to deliver targets and create a motivated and developing culture. The ideal candidate will also be results orientated; with a proven track record in sustained strategic success.
- To take overall responsibility for meeting and/or exceeding budget profit contribution of show/s.
- To take overall responsibility for the day to day management of the show’s profit and loss performance.
- To provide a monthly report and forecast on show revenues, contribution, manpower and actions that are being taken for the show to achieve budget (and other reports or analysis as required).
- To provide financial forecasts as required by the finance department.
- To write in conjunction with the show team the annual three-year business plan.
- Through research, analysis, relationships and market intelligence develop strategies and initiatives to ensure the ongoing growth and sustainability of the show/s.
- To produce a coherent brand strategy for the event to maintain and increase relevance to market, meeting both visitor and exhibitor expectations.
- To provide a strategically thought through event floorplan in conjunction with the Sales Manager and Operations Manager.
- To monitor and report competitor activity taking actions where necessary.
- To foster positive and professional relationships with the show team/s.
- To foster positive and professional relationships with key suppliers, associations, media and commercial partners.
- To develop a campaign strategy with the Marketing Manager that meets and/or exceeds budget including overall visitor numbers, ticket revenues and ticket yields.
- To ensure the marketing plan is being delivered to plan in a satisfactory and timely manner.
- To manage the Marketing Manager.
- To appoint contractors/suppliers/agencies with the Marketing Manager as required.
- To do press/ TV and radio interviews as necessary.
- To develop a campaign strategy with the Sales Manager that meets and/or exceeds budget including overall numbers of exhibitors, exhibitor mix, stand sales and sponsorship revenues.
- To ensure the sales plan is being delivered to plan - on target and on budget.
- To manage the Sales Manager.
- To support the Sales Manager in developing immerging revenues streams or creative and complex sales such as sponsorship.
- To support the Sales Manager in the use of Salesforce to manage the sales team’s pipeline, improve conversion of opportunities and drive revenue.
- In conjunction with the Sales Manager drive new sales behaviours across the sales team in line with business goals.
- To develop with the Operations Manager an operational strategy that meets or comes in under budget.
- To ensure the operational plan is being delivered to plan in a satisfactory and timely manner.
- To manage the Operations Manager.
- To take responsibility of all relevant Health & Safety issues relating to both the floorplan and exhibition as a whole - working with the Operations Manager to create risk assessments (IOSH training to be provided).
- To appoint contractors/suppliers with the Operations Manager as required ensuring the highest quality show features and design within the allocated budget.
- To manage the show team day to day.
- To set clear goals and objectives for all reporting staff.
- To set, monitor and evaluate performance targets.
- To create, monitor and evaluate individual bonus plans for the show team.
- To complete annual and midterm staff appraisals as necessary.
- To recruit new or replacement staff as necessary.
- To be aware of employment procedures, disciplinary actions and employment law issues.
- To assess, develop and coach all reporting staff.
- To ensure that training and development needs for all are met.
- To develop an understanding of the company’s objectives and goals for the future and your part / your team’s part in achieving them.
- To visit relevant exhibitions in the UK and on the continent.
- To identify and maintain key customer care or account management objectives.
- To resolve exhibitor conflicts both in the office and on site.
- To work on site during the build-up, open period and breakdown of all the shows.
- To attend training courses as agreed with your line manager.
- To represent Clarion Events in a professional manner at all times.
Skills, knowledge and behaviours:
- Previous experience in a similar role.
- Demonstrable leadership skills, with strategy and planning experience.
- Marketing knowledge and financial acumen.
- The ability to build strong and trusting relationships.
- The ability to adapt behaviour to suit or achieve desired result.
- The ability to motivate, coach and influence staff to excel.
- Excellent written and oral communicator.
- The ability to work both independently and as a team player as required.
- A hunger to reach and exceed targets, with a tenacious ‘can do’ approach to work.
- The ability to work calmly under pressure.
- The ability to operate within agreed budgets.
- Assertive, creative and confident.
- Leading the team by example at all times.
- Takes pride in their work.
- Works with tact and diplomacy.
- Clarity of vision and purpose.
- Visionary, opportunistic and entrepreneurial.